Saturday, March 24, 2012

Why I'm Doing What I'm Doing

Why in the WORLD would I want to run 10 miles?

Well, I don't. Not in the least bit.

I like to run. I like to jog. I like to walk and mosey. But, I don't really desire to do all of that for 10 miles. That's why God invented an assorted amount of vehicles for us to choose from. Right? Right....

So, why am I doing this? And why so publicly?

Well, let's go with the second one first.

1. When you make things public, there is a certain amount of accountability that comes with that. I am usually cautious about sharing big things with so many people, but I feel like this is something God is pushing me towards. So, I want my community (near and far) to support me, cheer me on and most importantly, make sure I am following through!

2. So, the second reason ties into the first. God has had His finger on two areas since I moved back to Lynchburg. Sorting out my food issues is one of those things. Because of weight gain in the past few years, I have just not been able to be as active as I have in the past. I noticed that I was moving slower during softball, my knees would hurt more than usual, and I have also been tired more. Exercise can help that, but where is God in simple exercise? I want to trust Him. I want to know that He is pushing me, pulling me, leading me by the hand through it. In order to do that, I want to do something I could NEVER do without God. Enter the Virginia Ten Miler.

From what I've heard/read/seen, this is NOT an easy course. Lynchburg, VA is the "City of Seven Hills." It's not flat ol' Ohio. It is a loop course, with the beginning downhill and the end... wait for it... uphill. Oh, and it's 10 miles. Not a 10k. Ten Miles. That's seven more miles than I've run consecutively in my whole life.

But God has this.

No comments:

Post a Comment