Monday, April 9, 2012

Just a little anecdote...

If you've read my blogger profile, you will know that I have four different blogs (three of which I actually write on regularly). I like to compartmentalize. I like the division. So, I have one to document my journey trying to figure out what they heck God wants me to do with my life, I have a second one that follows my training for the VA Ten Miler, another that I write on when I'm feeling opinionated (I rarely write on this one, and have actually considered deleting it), and this one. This blog, I use as an edited-version of my journal. It kind of walks you through things God is teaching me, showing me, and leading me through.

Today, I want to mix it up. If you don't adjust well to change, just roll with it. This is just a blog. It's not going to ruin your life (hopefully) to read something a little different. :)

Okay, so have you ever had one of those moments where you feel like an introspective genius? This can come in many forms, depending on what you are "realizing" about yourself. In the past, I have had moments where I say to myself, "Wow, self! I didn't realize that you used humor as a defense-mechanism/form of coping." Another one is, "Wow, self! I know now why you get so upset when people copy you! It's because you feel the need to feel special."

In case you're wondering, yes, I do actually think, "Wow, self!"

So, I had a "Wow, self!" today. In fact, it was just now. So, I decided that instead of sticking to the regularly scheduled program, I would share this.

I had this "introspective epiphany" while reading one of my favorite blogs, Hyperbole and a Half, The author (Allie) touched on something that I have struggled/wrestled with and tried to overcome since I became and appropriate age to start acting like an adult.

This is a slip-n-slide. I want one. Now.
I want to be a 20-something forever. For the rest of my life, I want to live in an apartment with a job that pays just enough for rent/needed expenses and some fun. I want to always be able to forget to do my laundry until I run out of underwear. I want to live a relaxed life in the summer and not take things too seriously.

Don't get me wrong. I do want to "settle down" and maybe get married and have a few babies. But, I think I don't want responsibility anymore. Is that bad? Is this adulthood? Just counting down days until you can take another vacation to escape life?

I don't think I want that. I think that I want to live a life that I'm content in. That way, if I never get a huge vacation, I'm just a-okay with being where I am and making the best of it.

So there.

Confession: I was on an actual vacation from March 9-March 18. Then, I worked for two weeks. Then, both my bosses went out of town with the girl I nanny. I am in the middle of that second "vacation," that I am lovingly calling SpringBreak2012. I have two more days of "freedom" (as if my job is that hard) until I get to play with and take care of the most adorable girl ever (And no, I'm not saying that because her parents read this. I'm pretty sure they don't know this blog exists). So, maybe I'm just enjoying my looooooooooooooooooong vacation and want it to be forever.

Either way, I don't really want responsibility.

Here's the blog post that made me feel that much more normal. That me sprinting from adulthood is not crazy or immature or freakish. It is just part of growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment