Thursday, December 15, 2011

Are You A Rhinoceros?

No, I'm not asking if you think you're fat. Or tough on the outside and soft on the inside. Or even if you have blind rage and run at anything.....or are those bulls?

Anyways, I'm asking if you think like a rhino. Don't know? Let me explain.

You see, in addition to being strong and powerful, rhinos are pretty good runners. Although they can be around 1.5 - 2 tons, they also can run around 25 miles per hour. (Thank you wikipedia for the information) That makes me feel slow. What does this have to do with how they think?

Welp, rhinos can't see past around 30 feet in front of them. If I couldn't see but 30 feet in front of me, you would see me walking slow, being careful, trying to assess what's in front of me. But they don't, you see. They charge. Full speed ahead. They run as fast as they can towards a specific thing- without being able to see anything except what is directly in front of them.

So, I ask again: Are you a rhinoceros? Do you listen to the Lord and.......not step, not walk, not prance, or even jog..... but charge full speed ahead towards what He has for you? Do you do this even if you don't know exactly where you are going to end up?

I guarantee that when a rhino is running at 25 mph, his destination is not 30 feet away. He is aiming for something farther- something that he can't quite see, but he knows it's there.

If you are not a rhino, that is okay. You can be. What do you need to do? Simple.... but not easy.

Listen......step..... and do.

Listen for His voice. Be still before Him so that you know it's Him speaking and not just you wanting Him to tell you something. Test what He is saying by asking Him for confirmation. Once you have that confirmation....

Step out in faith. That first step is always the hardest. Believe me, I know. I did it. And, I do it everyday. That first step is crucial. It's as important as getting baptized as a new believer. It's physically saying "Yes" to His calling. It can look different. For me, it meant telling my family and close friends that I was moving. I knew with that, there was accountability. That was scary. It will be scary. And thrilling. And joyous. And encouraging to those around you. So do it. Once you take a step....

Do what He is telling you to do. If He hasn't told you anything specific, then go back to the basics. Read the Bible. What does it tell us to do? To love. To encourage. To "[as you are going], make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

So listen to what He is saying, step out, and do it! And don't be a patsy about it! Be a rhino. Run as fast as you can toward His will, and I guarantee that you will experience inexplainable joy from the wind blowing through you hair and the mileage you will get on your car and the lives you will bless.... but most of all, think of what it means to Him when His children say "yes."

Be a rhino.

Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment