Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Blessed Beyond Measure

Do you ever feel like this with God----->

When I said "yes" to God and packed up all my belongings, I knew that he would be with me every step of the way. I knew that no matter what, God would provide me. He called me to be radically obedient to Him- even if it means not knowing what job I'm going to have, or what He's going to do in my life. It will be okay. He has my back.

When I came down here a few weeks ago, I found a wonderful roommate and a place to call "home" for this season in my life. But, it seemed like every door that led to a possible job was closed (sometimes slammed) in my face. A few times, I was discouraged, but I was quickly reminded by the Lord that He did not call me to Virginia for a job. He called me to Virginia for something. Something amazing. Something unknown to me.

So, what do I do in the meantime? Do I wait in Ohio until I can find a job in Virginia? No. God didn't tell me that. He told me to "Go" and "Do," not "Wait until the coast is clear, then proceed."

So, I left. Without a job, but knowing that God will provide for me however He sees fit. He is creative... oh, so creative. Psalm 50 says that God owns, "the cattle on a thousand hills." That's a lot. He is creative enough to provide for me with His limitless resources.

How has he done this?

Welp, about thirty minutes after I was on the road on Tuesday, I got a call from my father. I listened to the voicemail when I could, and he told me that he was canceling a life insurance policy that he took out on my and my siblings when we were born. He told me to call State Farm and talk to them about my options, and to decide if I wanted to keep the policy or not.

Here is what I found out:

1. The payments that he has been making since 1982 has been making money in dividends (I think that's what she called it). Basically, it's more than a life insurance policy. It's an investment. A sort-of trust fund.

2. I am able to access the profits at no penalty to me at any time. I can either take the money now, or it can stay there. The amount is equal to the amount of a month's costs for rent/utilities/food. Amazing. God just gave me money to live off of for another month.

3. I can either keep the policy open to guarantee that there will be no burden for my family, should anything happen to me, or I can cancel it. It costs a little more than $6/month to keep it open. That's not a lot, and you won't be able to find a 10k policy for that amount now-a-days. I'm keeping it and writing a living will with specific insructions.

-----------time out--------------

When I called today to have them send me all paperwork, I found out more information that was amazingly surprising and grew my faith a lot.

-----------time in---------------

4. I can borrow against the policy any money that has been put into it over the years with no penalties. The only thing is that any money that I borrow will affect how much money the recipient is given when I pass away.

5. The amount of money that I can (and will be) borrowing against the policy covers another entire month's expenses. That means that I am not only provided for for the month of December, but also January. God is so amazing. I feel comfortable doing this because what I wish to happen when I pass away will not be as expensive as my policy is for.

So, there you have it. I feel like God wants me to have a job, but that He will provide for me either way (through a job or random life insurance dividends). He is amazing :)

2 comments:

  1. thats awesome LMD! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? Me friend prayed this over me before I left, and I totally feel it!

    Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.

    1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the LORD,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

    3 He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
    4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

    5 The LORD watches over you—
    the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
    6 the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.

    7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
    he will watch over your life;
    8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.

    ReplyDelete